API (formerly Pondcare) Algaefix is an algaecide which effectively controls green water algae, string or hair algae and blanket weed in ponds that contain live plants. Controls existing algae and helps resolve additional algae blooms. Keeps ornamental ponds and water gardens clean & clear.
For help and information about common problems with Ponds and Water Quality see our Pond FAQ Help Section
- Can be used in ponds containing live plants and fish.
- Effectively controls "green water" algae blooms and blanket weed (Oedogonium)
- Keeps ornamental ponds and water gardens clean and clear.
- An EPA registered Algaecide that helps resolve future algae problems.
- Do not use with crustaceans, including crabs, shrimp and freshwater lobsters.
- Do not use in aquariums/ponds containing fish for human consumption.
- DO NOT OVERDOSE, read instructions carefully. Overdosing this product can have harmful effects on your pond and fish
- Ensure you have strong constant water flow when using this product as killing all of your algae at once will cause a drop in oxygen in your pond water and if there is insufficient water flow this could affect your fish negatively
- Good to use in conjunction with a sludge remover to break down dead algae such as Blagdon Sludge Buster.
Using algae treatments can be very effective at clearing algae, however they generally do not treat the underlying causes of algae. Some of the main causes of algae in ponds are:
- Undersized filtration system - your filter and pump are too small for your pond. Click here for information on sizing up the correct filter and pump for your pond.
- Not enough flow - you are not moving enough water around your pond or not running your pump all tht time. More flow = less algae/more oxygen and fish generally love it.
- Too much flow through your filter/uv lamp - if water moves too quickly past your uv lamp it doesn't have time to kill the algae properly.
- Too many fish for the size of the pond - too many fish in a small pond leaves a lot of organic waste
- Not running your pump/filter 24/7 - for pond filters to work properly they MUST be running 24/7. There is no way around this.
- No Ultra Violet Clarifier on your filtration setup - UV lamps can be extremely effective at keeping water from turning green.
Use to treat all kinds of algae, green water and blanket weed in ponds.
What we liked:
Broad spectrum algaecide which works for different kinds of algae.
Less than ideal:
Algaefix is a chemical which kills algae and while it is very effective it can be harsher than other more natural algae treatments such as Blagdon Blanket Weed Algaway, Blagdon Pond Balance, Blagdon Green Away, Barley Straw Extract or Lysofoss so it is very important not to overdose.