Regular use of Blagdon Extract of Barley Straw can be a very effective way to help with the control of algae growth in ponds; both green water (suspended microscopic green algae) and blanket weed (a cotton wool like filamentous algae).
For help and information about common problems with Ponds and Water Quality see our Pond FAQ Help Section
It is not as targeted as specialty products such as Blagdon Pond Balance for blanket weed or Blagdon Green Away for green water.
In the past algae has been controlled by putting a bale of barley straw in the pond which, as the straw breaks down, eliminates the algae. Blagdon Extract of Barley Straw has been distilled from barley straw.
This is a completely natural product and it is harmless to filters and all species of fish, plants and water using wildlife.
Us an initial dose of 25ml per 900L of water. Every 14 days add 8ml per 900L throughout the algae growing season to minimise algae growth.
Using algae treatments can be very effective at clearing algae, however they generally do not treat the underlying causes of algae. Some of the main causes of algae in ponds are:
- Undersized filtration system - your filter and pump are too small for your pond. Click here for information on sizing up the correct filter and pump for your pond.
- Not enough flow - you are not moving enough water around your pond or not running your pump all tht time. More flow = less algae/more oxygen and fish generally love it.
- Too much flow through your filter/uv lamp - if water moves too quickly past your uv lamp it doesn't have time to kill the algae properly.
- Too many fish for the size of the pond - too many fish in a small pond leaves a lot of organic waste
- Not running your pump/filter 24/7 - for pond filters to work properly they MUST be running 24/7. There is no way around this.
- No Ultra Violet Clarifier on your filtration setup - UV lamps can be extremely effective at keeping water from turning green.
Ponds with too much algae. A long term solution for algae in your pond.
What we liked:
Natural product used for thousands of years to control algae in bodies of water.
Less than ideal:
Nothing at all, very effective product.