Blagdon Blanket Weed Algaway is a recently developed product specifically targeted to rapidly kill blanket weed and string algae in ponds and water features and features the latest technology.
For help and information about common problems with Ponds and Water Quality see our Pond FAQ Help Section
- The latest technology for killing string algae and stopping it from returning
- Highly targeted and effective treatment for your pond
- Safe for fish, pets and wildlife
- Encourages plant growth
- Very easy to apply. Blagdon Blanket Weed Algaway is in the form of granules which come in a bottle, simply measure your required dosage, mix in a bucket with some pond water and pour into your pond
- Works well in conjunction with Blagdon Sludge Buster which can remove the dead algae.
- For green water ponds without stringy algae, try Blagdon Green Away.
Using algae treatments can be very effective at clearing algae, however they generally do not treat the underlying causes of algae. Some of the main causes of algae in ponds are:
- Undersized filtration system - your filter and pump are too small for your pond. Click here for information on sizing up the correct filter and pump for your pond.
- Not enough flow - you are not moving enough water around your pond or not running your pump all tht time. More flow = less algae/more oxygen and fish generally love it.
- Too much flow through your filter/uv lamp - if water moves too quickly past your uv lamp it doesn't have time to kill the algae properly.
- Too many fish for the size of the pond - too many fish in a small pond leaves a lot of organic waste
- Not running your pump/filter 24/7 - for pond filters to work properly they MUST be running 24/7. There is no way around this.
- No Ultra Violet Clarifier on your filtration setup - UV lamps can be extremely effective at keeping water from turning green.
Ponds with stringy algae or blanket weed. Any algae that is fibrous that sticks to the side of the pond or floats on top. Safe for all fish and wildlife.
What we liked:
We have found this to be the most effective product on the market for killing and controlling string algae and blanket weed.
Less than ideal:
Not designed for green water although it will help a little bit. Better off with Blagdon Green Away.