Blagdon Interpet Pond Balance changes the chemical composition of your water to create and environment where String Algae, also known as Blanket Weed has a very hard time growing or surviving. It has been around for a long time and has proven itself to be a very effective regular pond treatment. It is NOT an algaecide which makes it an ideal option for ponds containing fish, frogs or a pond that is used by other wildlife.
For help and information about common problems with Ponds and Water Quality see our Pond FAQ Help Section
- Clears string algae/blanket weed
- Regular treatment will stop string algae and blanket weed from returning
- Tried and tested best-selling formula
- Available in large sizes for outstanding value or commercial use
- Works well in conjunction with Blagdon Interpet Sludge Buster which can assist to remove the dead algae once Pond Balance has done it's work
- For green water (micro suspended algea/pea soup) without stringy algae it is best to use Blagdon Interpet Green Away instead
Using algae treatments can be very effective at clearing algae, however they generally do not treat the underlying causes of algae. Some of the main causes of algae in ponds are:
- Undersized filtration system - your filter and pump are too small for your pond. Click here for information on sizing up the correct filter and pump for your pond.
- Not enough flow - you are not moving enough water around your pond or not running your pump all tht time. More flow = less algae/more oxygen and fish generally love it.
- Too much flow through your filter/uv lamp - if water moves too quickly past your uv lamp it doesn't have time to kill the algae properly.
- Too many fish for the size of the pond - too many fish in a small pond leaves a lot of organic waste
- Not running your pump/filter 24/7 - for pond filters to work properly they MUST be running 24/7. There is no way around this.
- No Ultra Violet Clarifier on your filtration setup - UV lamps can be extremely effective at keeping water from turning green.
Ponds with stringy algae or blanket weed containing fish and wildlife.
What we liked:
Changes the chemical makeupo of the water to help create a hostile environment for string algae.
Less than ideal:
Works best in some ponds, in other ponds Blagdon Blanket Weed Algaway works best. There are many variables which can contribute to the effectiveness of pond treatments.