Blagdon have a terriffic range of gravity filters suitable for domestic ponds. Gravity filters sit up above the water level of your pond. Your pond pump then pumps the water from the pond up into the gravity filter and then the water drains (via gravity!) back into your pond. They are a terriffic alternative to a pressure filter as they can hold large amounts of waste and are much easier to clean out. The drawback is that they must be mounted higher than the pond which can sometimes be obtrusive if you have a water fall, in this case a pressure filter is recommended. The Blagdon Minipond and Midipond all include suitable sized Ultra Violet Clarifiers which keep your water crystal clear. Each filter also has 3 different grades of filter foam as well as wool and carbon pads plus bionoodles for high quality mechanical and biological filtration.
- Integrated Ultra Violet Clarifier to kill green algae that is suspended in the water and keep it looking crystal clear
- 3 different grades of foam filter pads to remove sediment (mechanical filtration)
- Wool pad for finer filtration
- Carbon pad to reduce toxicity and remove chemical pollutants
- Bionoodles which create an ideal place for nitrifying bacteria to live, which breaks down ammonia and other toxic substances to help with the nitrogen cycle of your pond (biological filtration)
- Large hinged lid, unpressurised so you can simply lift it up and take out the filter sponges to clean
- Replacement UV Lamps, Filter Sponges, Wool/Carbon Pads as well as other spare parts readily available
- Replacement bio-noodles also available
- Large filter housing holds a lot of waste before needing to be cleaned
- Ideal for messier fish such as Koi or heavier fish stocking since they are much easier to empty out the waste
- Simple Blagdon Pond Kits are available including pump, matching filter, hose and fittings - click here
Any pond where you can place the filter box above the water level. The best kind of filter for Koi.
What we liked:
Construction is superb as is the filter layout and number, quality from top to bottom. Very good value. This is a great large capacity gravity filter.
Less than ideal:
If pumping up to a waterfall it can be difficult to position a gravity filter above it, best to use a pressure filter in this instance.